2016, Erice, fellowships, Fundamental Science, International School of Science Journalism, science communication, science journalism
The Erice International School of Science Journalism announces 30 fellowships for applicants from European countries and 5 fellowships for applicants from non-European countries to attend the 2016 edition (June 25th – 30th, 2016) focused on “The Fundamental Science: from cutting-edge technologies to the heart of society”.
The fellowships are aimed at science journalists, science communicators and students in science journalism and communication.
The list of confirmed speakers includes:
Fred BALVERT (science communicator, Erasmus MC, NL), Luisa CIFARELLI (CentroFermi President, IT), Eugenio COCCIA (INFN & GSSI, IT), Claudia DI GIORGIO (Le Scienze, IT), Marco DURANTE (TIFPA Trento, IT), Fernando FERRONI (INFN President, IT), Victor MALKA (Ensta, FR), Terry O’CONNOR (STFC, UK), Jacopo PASOTTI (Freelance, Science journalist, CH), Tatjana RUDEZ (European Science Writer of the Year 2015, HR), Mico TATALOVIC (The New Scientist, UK), Elisabetta TOLA (Formicablu/Google, IT), Alessandro VARIOLA (INFN Frascati, IT), Mohammed YAHIA (Nature, Egypt), Anna Maria ZACCHEDDU (Communication Office, Telethon, IT).
The selection requires:
- For science journalists: at least three years of professional experience working/freelancing for general or popular science media;
- For science communicators: at least three years of professional experience working in a scientific organization, science museum or science centre or as a freelancer in a position of press officer, curator, editor of (web) publications, organizer of outreach activities or similar;
- For students: being a student in a master programme in science journalism or science communication.
Candidates should send their CV and a motivation letter in which they describe:
- Their plans for their professional future
- Why they think participating in the summer school would benefit their career
Fellowships will cover:
- The fee of the School
- Staying in Erice
- Travel expenses to-from Erice: arrival on June 25th and departure on June 30th (airfare/train/bus; only public transport is allowed, no taxi) -> for participants from EU countries
• transfer from Palermo or Trapani airport to/from Erice for the arrival on June 25th and departure on June 30th -> for participants from non-EU countries
The members of the selection committee are:
Fred Balvert (Erasmus MC University, science communicator), Eleonora Cossi (INFN Press Office), Pierluigi Campana (INFN-LNF Director & co-Director of the Course), Fabio Turone (President of Science Writers in Italy & co-Director of the Course).
Please send your application for a fellowship:
CV (max 1 page) and motivation letter (max 1 page) to
Rita Bertelli, e-mail: EISSJC (at) LNF.INFN.IT
The deadline for application is March 10th, 2016. Applications which should reach us after this date will not be taken into consideration. You will be informed of the acceptance/reject of your application by April 25th, 2016.
Candidates not selected for receiving the fellowship will still be allowed to attend the school by paying the fee of 500 euros that includes the accommodation and the meals in Erice.
It is strongly recommended to bring your laptop for the workshops.